Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Calculating the Coverage of Combs by your Lotto Number Set
 LottoPoster Forums : LOTTO PROBABILITY, COVERAGE AND PROGRAMMING : Calculating the Coverage of Combs by your Lotto Number Set
Message Icon Topic: Coverage Calculator Post Reply Post New Topic
Colin F
Lotto Systems Tester Creator & Analyst
To dream the impossible dream ...

Online Status: Offline
Quote Colin F Replybullet Topic: Coverage Calculator
    Posted: May 06 2009 at 10:53pm
I'm looking to standardize on how I present a Lotto playset analysis and this is my simplified adaption into VB of my Access internal application that I've had for a few years. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Colin

Lotto Draws have no relationship to one another; the integers serve just as identifiers. Any prediction calculation on one history of draws for a same type game is just as irrelevant as another.
IP IP Logged
Millsy
Registered Member
Registered Member

Quote Millsy Replybullet Posted: May 09 2009 at 2:03pm
Hi Colin,

I hope your well.

Your coverage calculator looks great.

Will it be available soon in addition to your other program

Best Regards

Millsy
IP IP Logged
Colin F

Quote Colin F Replybullet Posted: May 09 2009 at 9:37pm
Thanks Millsy

I actually did the Windows version of LottoToWin® before the online version of LottoToWin. Security and updates are not an issue when you publish on the web but are once you make your program stand alone. I suppose I'm over reacting as I don't think the plagiarists would be interested that much.

What you see here is an internal program - a simplified version of my analyzer in Access. The idea is that when I analyze a number set I want to do it in a standardized way and then publish the screen shot.

The short answer is I don't think there is any real commercial demand for a program like this. As for the windows version of LottoToWin - well, I need a few more people like yourself to ask for it. There is no profit in these efforts so I'm cautious about distributing something with more maintenance requirements than the easier way of using the web, where a change can be effected in a few minutes for the benefit of all users.   

Regards
Colin Fairbrother
Lotto Draws have no relationship to one another; the integers serve just as identifiers. Any prediction calculation on one history of draws for a same type game is just as irrelevant as another.
IP IP Logged
ron1
Registered Member
Registered Member

Quote ron1 Replybullet Posted: August 03 2009 at 3:12am
Hi Colin
is there a trial version of the calculator above?
I'm interested in trying it out.
IP IP Logged
Colin F

Quote Colin F Replybullet Posted: August 03 2009 at 7:07am
Originally posted by ron1

Hi Colin
is there a trial version of the calculator above?
I'm interested in trying it out.

Thanks for the inquiry Ron1.

It used to be my intention to release an analysis program that highlighted the deficiencies of most of the Lotto Wheels/Covers touted in this field of interest. I'm warming to the idea again.

As a matter of interest what would you use it for?

My experience has been irrespective of the logic and proofs people still choose to believe what they want to believe. Even from intelligent academic people that write articles on Lotto Designs I have yet to see any admission that in terms of the Covers they promote as being beneficial to Lotto players the yield or percentage return in the short term is woeful.

Generally speaking anyone who thinks they can tweak the odds in Lotto beyond 5 or 6 percentage points over a reasonable sample is in fairyland as far as I'm concerned.

Regards
Colin Fairbrother
IP IP Logged
krish
Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote krish Replybullet Posted: August 23 2009 at 5:24pm
Hi Colin,
I'm trying to figure this out: In a Norwegian Lottery they have 34 balls and they pick a total of 10 balls, 7+3 extras. The prices are for 5, 6 and 7 correct balls = 4+1, 4+2, 4+3, 5, 5+1, 5+2, 6, 6+1 and 7 correct balls.
What are the chance of the balls 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 are picked out? They can be randomly picked, but in the end those 7 numbers must be picked.
I think this can be calculated by finding the number of possibilities. But I've got some problems with finding this out.

I'm greatful for any help.
IP IP Logged
krish
Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote krish Replybullet Posted: August 23 2009 at 5:25pm
I realize that this don't have anything to do with the thread you guys had going here. I'm sorry for interupting. I'm just a bit eager to find out the answer :)
IP IP Logged
Colin F

Quote Colin F Replybullet Posted: August 23 2009 at 7:09pm
Krish

The answer is in a table I made Combinations per Pool. For a Pool 34 Pick 7 your chances of getting any Seven is 1 in 5,379,616.

To calculate for any Contiguous Numerical Order or Consecutive Sevens - first work out how many there are, which is 28 -
01 02 03 04 05 06 07
02 03 04 05 06 07 08
28 29 30 31 32 33 34

Then, simply multiply by the ratio to get the probability
28 x 1/5379616 = 0.0000052 or 0.00052%

What this means is any set of 28 numbers you care to nominate has the same chance of having the winning number.

If you played any 28 numbers once a week for a year then your chances of a first prize are 52 x 28 x 1/5379616 = 0.0002704 or 0.02704%. For 50 years you are looking at 50 x 52 x 28 x 1/5379616 = 0.01352 or 1.352%.

If you increased the lines played to 1000 a week then over 50 years it is likely but still not certain that you would win first prize ie 50 x 52 x 1000 x 1/5379616 = 0.0096 or 96%. The number of plays you have made if all are different at 2,600,000 is about 48% of the possibilities.

Chances are that you will have spent more than what you get back as first prize no matter how much you increase the plays. In other words the luck element can't be elimiminated from being ahead in Lotto.

Regards
Colin

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version